Friday, November 18, 2011

A Gathering Woman’s Plethora-of-Persimmon Challenge

Deb's photo Hachiya persimmons 2011
Ahhh, it is autumn and our lovely grafted persimmon tree is heavy with fruit and ablaze with color. Next week my family and I travel to Payson, Arizona to share Thanksgiving with my father and Marie, my second mom. Marie, like me, loves the Fuyu variety from our tree, so much so that last year my Dad told me she hid and rationed them out very carefully so as to make them last. I believe the persimmon to be a much misunderstood autumn delight.  Many people think that all persimmons are alike having once tried an unripe Hachiya with its bitter aftertaste. The Hachiya persimmon, with the pointy bottom, is perfect for baking especially with mulling spices. The flesh of the Hachiya should be the consistency of jam to be sweet enough to enjoy off the tree. In contrast, the Fuyu should be eaten firm as an apple and; in my opinion, is far too good fresh to be used in baking but rather is to be enjoyed fresh off the tree for its silky, smooth texture and delicate flavor.
Deb's photo Fuyu persimmon 2011

At this time of the year I enjoy fresh Fuyus and look for new ways to make use of the larger yield of Hachiyas. A recent weekend jaunt to Santa Rosa’s Savory Spice Shop provided some much needed, fresh inspiration to meet my plethora-of-persimmon challenge.
 
Jennifer, Kristine, & Deb at Cafe Bliss in Belmont, C
In traditional feminine style, I began this “gathering” expedition equipped with a carefully made list after having previewed their products online. I wanted kaffir lime leaves for my own version of Tom Ka Thai Soup, as well as, White Pepper, Saigon Cassia, Nutmeg, Mexican Vanilla Beans, and Organic Green Cardamom Pods for my own Green Chai Tea recipe. Mexican Vanilla Beans were on my list because a new food-writing friend, Jennifer, who I met at the food writing class I took in October through the UC Berkeley Extension, told me that she preferred Mexican Vanilla and suggested I try it! I adore Vietnamese/Saigon Cassia for its dark, rich, and chocked-full of cinnamon-like flavor!  Did you know what is sold as cinnamon in most American stores is really bark from the cassia tree? True Cinnamon, from Sri Lanka (Ceylon), is the preferred cinnamon in England and Mexico and being the “cinnamon girl” that I am I enjoy them all but I especially favor the Saigon variety for baking.

courtesy of Savory Spice
Visiting a Savory Spice Shop is like smelling and tasting your way around the globe! I found an open “taster” next to each of the more than 140 spice and herb blends offered. It meant a lot to me to be able to pour a little sample into my hand, smell its fragrance, and enjoy its flavor.  Once I was in the store, I was in serious “gathering” mode! Jon was definitely on his own for nearly an hour.
Pat Benfer & Cheryl Ytreeide-Santa Rosa Savory Spice
 Savory Spice began in Denver, Colorado in 2004 when Mike and Janet Johnston opened their first store. They now own 4 stores in the general Denver area, provide online purchase and free recipes through their website, and have sold 14 franchised locations in the United States. The Santa Rosa franchise is owned and operated by Pat Benfer and Cheryl Ytreeide. I was so delighted when Jon and I arrived to find both owners working that afternoon! They graciously showed me around and answered all my curious questions. Needless to say, this “gathering girl” left with a few extra items in her basket that weren’t on her list. (I bet that has never happened to you.) Even my “hunter” companion, Jon, unexpectedly found something: a wonderful 12 Blend Curry Set for his MIT friend, Paul. To Paul’s delight, Jon couldn’t wait till Christmas and now Paul is busy cooking up a curry storm in Prescott, Arizona.

Sweet & Savory Stuffed Pumpkins
I couldn’t help it . . .I fell in love with a $20 bottle of salt, but it’s not just any salt – it is Black Truffle Italian Sea Salt! I haven’t even used it on anything; I just eat it right out of my hand. I also found a delicious Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt that I used this week to develop a recipe for our hometown newspaper, the Auburn Journal, called Vegan Thanksgiving Sweet and Savory Stuffed Pumpkin. I used these wonderful little local organic one-pound sugar pie pumpkins to prepare this delicious substitute for the usual stuffed turkey that I know you will love even if you’re not vegan or vegetarian.

I must say that I am quite impressed with the quality of Savory Spice’s freeze-dried kaffir lime leaves! The fragrance and taste of these leaves from the kaffir lime are so distinct that they really cannot be adequately substituted with lime juice as I have sometimes had to do. I bought a good supply and made soup as soon as we returned home. Yumm! 

When we finally checked out, Pat threw in a free package of Chinese Five Spice blend with a recipe for cupcakes.  Inspired by my visit to Savory Spice two weeks ago I’ve made delicious Green Chai, Tom Ka, and developed two new recipes. The Sweet and Savory Stuffed Pumpkin recipe can be found soon at http://www.auburnjournal.com.  My most recent recipe, Chinese Five Spice Gluten-Free Persimmon Muffins, inspired by the Five Spice cupcake recipe, is what I am sharing with you today (see the link below or tab at top)

But before you get started I want to share some background of why the recipe is written the way it is. In the past I have found my own gluten-free muffin test recipes extremely unreliable as well as the gluten-free muffins recipes I found online. In January of this year I was inspired by Shauna James Ahern (aka Gluten-free Girl and the Chef)  who adapted a baking-by-weight muffin recipe by Shuna Fish Lydon. The recipe I am sharing is based on a philosophy of baking-by-weight that does not include gums and renders a reliable texture that is chewy and moist. I know you will enjoy the difference!

P. S. What an extraordinary coincidence - Shauna’s Wednesday recipe post http://glutenfreegirl.com/kabocha-squash-cake/  also uses Chinese Five Spice! Well, great minds think alike! I wonder if she got her blend from Savory Spice? This cake looks very good, egg-less – will have to try it too! Anyway, these muffins were a big hit here in our home, are yet another great way to enjoy those autumn Hachiya persimmons, and I hope will be a treat in your home.

See you again in two weeks! Have a very, happy thanksgiving!

Lots of Love, Deb

RECIPE LINK: 

4 comments:

Joanne Neft said...

Nice comments about persimmon--one of our favorite fruits.
Be sure to check out www.otoworchard.com to see what they do with hachiya persimmons -- fascinating, delicious, and the ideal holiday gift. Not only are they beautiful while being made (as you'll see on the website), they are also a taste of something close to heaven. Try them.

Deborah Jordan said...

Thanks Joanne, yes I will check out the Otow Orchard site. We enjoyed chocolate persimmons from Otow at the Farm-to-Table event at Lone Buffalo last month. Jon loves to make persimmon bars (they also have chocolate in them) and I have plans to adapt his for gluten-free. Last year I made some holiday cookies half-dipped in chocolate. I also just love to throw the jammy flesh of one ripe Hachiya into my warm oatmeal! Jon and I just picked Fuyu for Marie and Dad and I processed and froze the ripe Hachiyas. Determined this year to make delicious use out of all the birds and deer don't get to. May your holiday be blessed and thanks for the tip!

k.a. photography said...

I have in my garden :)
http://kerekesandras.blogspot.com/2010/10/kaki-datolyaszilva.html

Deb at Love'n Every Bite said...

Thanks for sharing Andras! Your photo blog is full of great photos! It looks like "Deep Blue" feline is beneath the kaki tree? These persimmons look green...I wasn't familiar with the term "kaki" and so have learned something new. Curious, do you eat this variety firm or overrippened? Deb

Post a Comment

I deeply appreciate your participation! Please share your experience, interests, and questions. Comments are published after moderation. With gratitude, Deb, Love'n Every Bite